Saturday, May 24, 2008
Call Me When You're Sober - Evanescence
Call Me When You're Sober - Evanescence
Seems familiar to anyone? I've been doing some work on this song, so its not unfamiliar to me. While I was looking for some performances of this song on Youtube, I found this, the song's official music video. What intrigued me was the use of the interesting settings and storyline used in this video.
Don't cry to me.
If you loved me,
You would be here with me.
You want me,
Come find me.
Make up your mind.
Should I let you fall?
Lose it all?
So maybe you can remember yourself.
Can't keep believing,
We're only deceiving ourselves .
And I'm sick of the lie,
And you're too late.
Don't cry to me.
If you loved me,
You would be here with me.
You want me,
Come find me.
Make up your mind.
Couldn't take the blame.
Sick with shame.
Must be exhausting to lose your own game.
Selfishly hated,
No wonder you're jaded.
You can't play the victim this time,
And you're too late.
Don't cry to me.
If you loved me,
You would be here with me.
You want me,
Come find me.
Make up your mind.
You never call me when you're sober.
You only want it cause it's over,
It's over.
How could I have burned paradise?
How could I - you were never mine.
So don't cry to me.
If you loved me,
You would be here with me.
Don't lie to me,
Just get your things.
I've made up your mind
Those are the lyrics to the song. From the lyrics, one would probably be able to guess that the storyline to this song is of this girl who is neglected by her other half, who only goes back to her when his affairs outside have ended, or when the girl threatens to end the relationship. ( You only want it cause it's over,) (We're only deceiving ourselves. And I'm sick of the lie, And you're too late.) shows that the girl knew of the guy's infidelity, yet refused to face it.
The music video seems to be set in the medieval period, with the majestic castle-like background as its set, the use of the long dining table, and the male lead's dressing. The start of the video was the female lead/ vocalist (Amy Lee) stroking the wolves during this part of the song at 0:36 of the video. ( Should I let you fall? Lose it all? So maybe you can remember yourself. Can't keep believing, We're only deceiving ourselves. And I'm sick of the lie, And you're too late.) It seems to hint that she's plotting something against the guy. I suppose this is probably due to the fact that wolves have always been seen as fierce animals, that attack and kill. Doesn't help that the wolves looked kind of hungry.
Part 1:30 in the video (Couldn't take the blame. Sick with shame. Must be exhausting to lose your own game. Selfishly hated, No wonder you're jaded. You can't play the victim this time, And you're too late.) shows the male lead trying to get intimate with her, while she simply doesn't seem very interested in responding. This part seemed to imply that she was mocking him for letting her find out that he was having an affair of sorts. This is furthur enforced with the lyrics - Sick with shame. Must be exhausting to lose your own game. She moves away from him in the part where she sings - And you're too late. Which also implies that she is giving up on him.
The next part of the video where the chorus is sang, Amy Lee appears with an entourage of dancers which could also be seen as her supporters. The people who have been there with her when the male lead was not around. ( Don't cry to me. If you loved me, You would be here with me. You want me, Come find me. Make up your mind. ) The lyrics also show that she is ready to give up on the relationship that they have been in. - You never call me when you're sober. You only want it cause it's over, It's over.
How could I have burned paradise? How could I - you were never mine. seems to imply that she has burned her own hope. Similarly at this point at the video (2:57), the wolf that she was stroking at the start of the video walks off, seemingly implying that she has decided to set the wolf on the guy.
The last part of the song shows that she has decided to give up on the relationship with the guy and make it known to him - Don't lie to me, Just get your things. I've made up your mind seems to show that she is chasing the guy away from her castle. The last scene where she walks on the long table towards the guy also seems to imply that she was having a show down with the guy.
Well, lesson learnt, guys? Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned. HAHA!
Hopefully that helped in the understanding to the video! :)
Jane.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
oh this is cool. i never thought of it in this way. i like this song and the video, but i never really thought you could think of it in this way. its really interesting and i like the analysis! from now on i'm going to look at this mtv in a different way. ;)
i haven't really watched this mtv before, but i really like it! and i think the analysis really helped me in understanding it better. i didn't really understand why they decided to use that background, or the wolves, but after reading your analysis, i understand it better now.
Post a Comment